Fluoride is the one of the most effective and beneficial minerals for your oral health. It has the ability to protect your teeth from decay and strengthen the enamel of your teeth. Fluoride is naturally found in some foods and in drinking water. The offices of New Health Dentistry offers topical fluoride application treatments for people who are at a higher risk of tooth decay.
Fluoride works in two ways:
- In developing teeth, fluoride becomes a part of the structure of the enamel to enhance its strength and resistance.
- In developed teeth, fluoride restores and re-mineralizes the enamel and also reverses decay in very early stages
Topical fluoride application treatments are a simple procedure that can be completed in a single appointment at our office. Fluoride is applied to the teeth in gel, foam or varnish form using trays that can be worn over the teeth. The solution is left on for some time and the patient is advised not to eat, drink or rinse their mouth for a short time so the teeth can properly absorb the fluoride.
Our experts may recommend the use of professional fluoride treatments for the following reasons:
- Exposed and sensitive root surfaces
- Grooves and fissures on the chewing surfaces of your molars
- Poor oral hygiene habits
- Inadequate exposure to fluoride
- Frequent sugar intake
- Recent history of tooth decay
- Inadequate saliva flow due to medical conditions, medications or treatments
It is vital to understand that the use of fluoride alone is not enough to prevent decay and cavities. One must care for their oral health with regular brushing, flossing and professional dental cleanings. Eat a healthy diet and limit your sugar intake.
If you wish to know more about the benefits of fluoride for your teeth, please contact our office at (678) 967-0972 to book an appointment.